When the weather outside is frightful, you are going to want to stay indoors! Having activities on hand for days inside can make or break a trip to the log cabin. Although it can take a while to get motivated, bad days can quickly turn into good! The following are 10 of my favorite things to do to pass the bad weather days at my log cabin.
Top 10 Fun Activities
1. Card Games – Whether you are solo or more than one, card games are a fun activity for everyone! My friends and I like to play games such as Egyptian Ratscrew, War, and Speed. If you have children try Go Fish, Old Maid, and Uno. There are also multiple types of solitaire for those that enjoy their solitude.
2. Update Your Music Library – Truth be told, I enjoy the process of adding and deleting songs. I always seem to re-discover some of my old favorites, and re-live some memories. However, I never have time in my day-to-day life to update my ITunes library. Enter a bad weather day at the cabin. I have found this is the absolute best time to update music. If you are alone, this can become a time for contemplation. If you are with friends or family, take turns playing songs.
3. Dance Party – This brings me to the inevitable next activity: have a dance party! If you are already playing music, a dance party just makes sense. Whether alone or in a group, everyone can use a good dance session. If you are feeling creative, drum up some decorations and costumes for a themed party. To take it to the next level, pop open some cans of beer and boogie all day long!
4. Yoga – Picture this. You are in your log cabin (more information here). It is below zero. The snow is falling in sheets to form a veritable winter wonderland. Such a beautiful scene outside of your windows should not be wasted! Yoga is a great way to connect with yourself and nature without ever stepping out. If you don't know where to begin, there are many instructional videos on YouTube.
5. Cook – If it were just any day, I would not include cooking on my top 10 list of ways to pass the time in your log cabin. However, in the right circumstances cooking can be fun! One thing you can do is host a cook-off competition with whatever you have in your cupboard. You could also gather everyone together to prepare a dish for a fancy evening meal. Bonus points for candles and wine!
6. Board Games – Who doesn't enjoy a good game of Monopoly or Life? If those two are old hat, try Pictionary, Taboo, or Balderdash. Plan ahead by picking up used board games at garage sales.
7. Play Sardines – One of my favorite winter day memories is playing sardines. If you have never played, now is a great time to start! The rules are simple. One person hides, and everyone else tries to find them. When a seeker finds the hider, they get into the same hiding spot as the hider! The game ends when the last person discovers everyone hiding like sardines. The last person becomes the hider in the next round.
8. Indoor Picnic – If the weather outside isn't cooperating, plan an indoor picnic! Get out your basket, spread your blanket, and start making that potato salad. Indoor picnics are the perfect way to get everyone together for a fun meal.
9. Clean – I know this doesn't sound fun, but bare with me. There is a whole log cabin to clean, and you don't have to do it all in one day. I typically do cleaning activities that I find fun such as sorting my closet and wiping out the refrigerator. Even if you hate to clean, think about it as creating an opportunity for fun on a future blue bird day.
10. Ice Cream Sundae – One thing I always keep on hand in my log cabin are ice cream sundae ingredients. You never know when you are going to need an ice cream sundae bar to pickup your spirits on a bad weather Friday.